In mid Februrary 2013 I started my two months tenure as a researcher in residence in the faculty of theology at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands. My research area is Chan/Zen Practice in China and the West. A few days arter my arrival, my hosting professor of Buddhism Andre van der Braak inivted me to sit in his class of Mahayana Buddhism for which I was expected to teach a couple of lectures later on. Co-inciently Jnanamati was also visiting the class through Mirjam Hartkamp's…
M.Sc. in biology/ecology at Utrecht State University, The Netherlands
My personal buddhist path
• 2014 Zen monk (Shukke Tokudo)
• 2009 refuge in sangha of Thich Nhat Hanh
• 2003 student of Nico Tydeman sensei
• 1991- participant of many retreats and workshops within Tibetan Buddhism, Theravada, Triratna, Ch'an & Zen
• 1991 entering the stream
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE
• founder (2003) and director of Ghanta Projects, a company active in disseminating knowledge about Asian cultures and religions and organising spiritual tours to India and Nepal
• 2003 made a 1000 km walking pilgrimage along a forgotten trail connecting the oldest and most important Buddhist pilgrimage sites in India and Nepal
• co-founder (1998) of Vajra Foundation Nepal
• founder (1997) and chairman of Vajra Foundation Holland, an NGO active in development and sustainable programs in Nepal; education (school building and scholarships), health projects (such as hospital construction, health education, and community health), income generation, environmental projects (solar cooking, improved cooking stoves) etc.
• 1989- lecturing at many occasions on Asian cultures, Hinduism, Buddhism, development programs
• 1986-1989: ecologist staff member and head of department of Local Authorities of the main port community of Schiedam, The Netherlands
• 2013: awarded with the Asian Sustainability Award, for the first Green and Eco Friendly School in Nepal, the first Green Eco Resort in Nepal and for the world’s biggest Solar Cooking Project in the Buthanese Refugee Camps in Nepal.
• 2011 the book 'Lopen in het voetspoor van de Boeddha' was nominated for 'the spiritual book of the year in the Netherlands'
• 2003: awarded in Nepal with the Himshikhar Foundation Award, aimed at ‘personalities with an outstanding contribution to the Nepalese society’
• Vajra Foundation Holland was awarded as Best NGO in the Netherlands in 2003 by the Dutch organization NCDO (National Commission for International Cooperation and Sustainable Development) for contributing to poverty elevation and development programs in Nepal
Check further down.
What can you offer to ITZI, & what is your interest in being a member?
• Organisor of Buddhist pilgrimages.
• Specialist in knowledge about the details of the life of the Buddha.
• Buddhism and ecology.
• Development projects in Nepal.
• Social service.
Are you available to lead courses in Buddhist Psychology?
Are you able/willing to travel outside your country to teach?
What other subjects, if any, can you teach?
• Buddhist pilgrimage
• Buddhism and ecology (the Buddha as the first ecologist)
• organising a Zen sesshin
• Details about the life of the Buddha
• Set up of development projects
• Social service
Do you have other abilities to assist in the life/administration of ITZI?
In the future maybe contribution to Amida Academy distant learning program, e.g. a course about the Buddhist pilgrimage and/or organising a Buddhist pilgrimage for specialised groups.
In what languages are you fluent?
Dutch, English, German, French
In what languages do you have a basic understanding?
Spanish, Italian, Indonesian, Nepali
Please list published books of which you are author, editor or translator
Lopen in het voetspoor van de Boeddha (ISBN 9789025959272, 480 pages), currently beingt translated into English (Walking in the footsteps of the Buddha) and being made into a movie. The book is about a forgotten foot trail connecting the four most important Buddhist pilgrim sites, located in India and Nepal and which the author has walked in 2003.
No comments yet!
You need to be a member of ITZI red to add comments!